Saturday, May 25, 2019

Equal But Different


In society today, there is a fight between men and women. Some women express that they feel like they are treated like a step below men and need to show that they are better than men. Men feel like they aren't respected anymore and are seen as prideful, dumb oafs. This is a toxic mindset.

Men and women are different. Period. And it’s wonderful. The natural strengths and weaknesses of each are compatible and essential.

Generally, males tend to be aggressive, competitive, are more spatially oriented, have greater upper body strength than women, and have a single-track mindset. In a previous post, “An Ingredient for Confidence,” I talked about how one of the roles of males are to provide, preside and protect their families. These generalizations I have listed for males are what makes up the roles of men. Because men are aggressive and competitive, they can protect their families and be motivated to provide for them as well. Having a one-track mind makes decision-making more streamlined and can be beneficial when presiding over a family.

Generally, females tend to be more cooperative, communicative, and their minds create elaborate relationships that connect many things together; a relational orientation. This makes women more inclined to be nurturing. They tend to resolve conflicts by relating to others’ feelings and helping them to express their feelings to the people they are disagreeing with.

These differences between men and women do not make one greater than the other, and they fit together well. Recently I watched a video that was addressing gender differences (an ABC special by John Stossel). They interviewed (what I would call) an extreme feminist, and I was appalled when the interviewer asked a question about women being generally more nurturing than men, and she emphatically responded no. She seemed so against men and women having traditional roles, or any roles for that matter, and I thought that was so wrong. The other women who were extreme feminists also believed that women can do ANYTHING a man can do, and probably better, too. They also interviewed a group of men who didn't like how men are being shamed for doing what men naturally do best.

I am tired of women being told they can do anything a man can do, just as well as a man. Because it’s not true. Just as females are generally less physically strong than males, males cannot carry and birth babies. They can’t. And it’s okay. Women are gifted with so many other talents and strengths that we don’t need to be the same as or better than men.

I am also very sick of seeing men being put-down and treated as terrible creatures. Some men are horrible, that’s true. But a clear majority of men are smart, capable, and honest. 

As I was reading through this article I really liked his three points he gave on how a specific Gillette ad was so abusive to men and their dignity. (I didn't like how passive aggressive he was, but I mean, that ad was hurtful.) I would like to point out that if there was an ad that did the same thing to women, there would be a HUGE uproar and Gillette would probably go out of business.

Alright. This was an extremely biased and probably one-sided post, but I’m sticking with it. I just want to finish up with these last few thoughts:
It’s okay that males are more “masculine” and females more nurturing. It’s okay when some males and females don’t feel like they fall into the norm.
We need to focus on working together, not fighting like oil and water.

Please feel free to comment, but don't be mean. Thanks :)

3 comments:

  1. Women and men are created different. We need nurturing people, protective people, communicative people, teachers, leaders and followers to keep the "machine" of life running smoothly.Not all females turn out to be nurturing, loving and patient. Not all males turn out to be strong, responsible, protective, providers.

    I am a 67 years old female who is very nurturing and raised two sons on my own, was and enjoyed being a great businesswoman, I can use almost any building tool to make repairs around my home, and now I am a successful artist and have 3 grandchildren.

    BUT...I suffered through 3 marriages where my husband's were liars, cheaters and abusers. And I suffered a brain tumor and strokes (from a plane crash) recovering on my own. I have also had several male bosses be extremely abusive to me.

    NOW, men say I am too independent for them to want to be with me. They want someone more needy. Well I have had to become independent because of the way they have treated me.

    The point is. People's take on feminism and the male/female roles in society now is based on what they have experienced and/or what they have seen. You can't discount this in your factors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That piece on the Gillette commercial was good. More men need to speak out about being lumped in with the bad men out there. As he mentions, we would never have an ad about women's negative stereotypes.

    To me, feminism should be about women getting to choose their path in life without voting laws, labor laws and traditions standing in the way. With that freedom comes tremendous responsibility. Because biologically, women bear and nurture children, they have an obligation to do everything in their power to ensure their potential children will be raised in the best circumstances possible. If that's not powerful, I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concerning your point on being "too independent" for men: I suggest that in closer relationships, independance can easily become self-isolation because one would push away well ment offers of assistance to opt for total self-reliance. Being independent is fantastic, but humans are a very gregarious species; we all desire deep, meaningful connections, and at times being too independent starves those who are involved of that connection. My mother and I also have difficulty asking for and allowing help, and we still struggle with it, but it has definitely deep end our trust and respect in those around us. Kendra on the other hand, has no such qualms, and has allowed help and I respect her for it. I think you try to do this. It does not have to be big, allowing a door to be opened for you, asking for advice, allow help doing the dishes, ect. Service and talking are also ways people show love to one another. Accept it and reciprocate.

    ReplyDelete