Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Prayer (putting it all together 4)


In class we discussed prayer and revelation, and that reminded me of some research I did in preparing a spiritual thought on prayer in the past. For that reason, I decided to discuss prayer. For some background, I am not a great pray-er. I have always struggled with saying personal prayers. I haven’t ever been good at praying both day and night, or by myself at meals. I tend to pray when I need something from God, which I know is not the best way to approach it. I am totally comfortable praying out loud and in front of people, but sometimes it is a vain repetition.

One of my favorite things on prayer is the definition from the bible dictionary.

“As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are His children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other.” Even though I am terrible at prayer, I LOVE this excerpt; because it is true. I do forget what my relationship with God is, sometimes. If I truly love my Father in Heaven, I would talk to him like I talk to my earthly father.

I guess I never quite had that Enos experience the one where “…my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.” (Enos 1:4) I heard once that the way we see our earthly parents is very similar to the way we see God. I love my earthly parents, but I don’t rely on them a lot. They do help me out so much, but I hardly really need their help (or so I think). I think that is kind of the way I view my Father in heaven.

I also know that I want to be a good example of prayer in my own future family. President Kimball once said, “The home should be a place where reliance on the Lord is a matter of common experience, not reserved for special occasions. One way of establishing that is by regular, earnest prayer. It is not enough just to pray. It is essential that we really speak to the Lord, having faith that he will reveal to us as parents what we need to know and do for the welfare of our families.” I plan on trying very hard to make sure my children know they can count on God, even if I may not an amazingly strong testimony of prayer right now. I am sure I will have more practice in the future.

I do know God answers prayer. As Alma taught the Zoramites in Alma 33,
Yea, O God, and thou wast merciful unto me when I did cry unto thee in my afield; when I did cry unto thee in my prayer, and thou didst hear me.
Yea, O God, thou hast been merciful unto me, and heard my cries in the midst of thy congregations.
10 Yea, and thou hast also heard me when I have been acast out and have been despised by mine enemies; yea, thou didst hear my cries, and wast angry with mine enemies, and thou didst bvisit them in thine anger with speedy destruction."

Father in heaven always hears our prayers. It makes no difference if you pray 30 minutes each day, or you only pray once a week. He will always hear you and answer you.

No comments:

Post a Comment